Monday, July 17, 2006

A hope for a ban on bullhorns



Every morning and every afternoon, during the Kabul rush hour, I hear a traffic policeman chastising the driving public. It’s not like the U.S., where you rarely hear a police officer on the bullhorn. But here, you hear the officers scolding and shouting into their bullhorns, the way some fathers scold their children. It’s a continuous speech, not orders – as if someone just gave the officer the bullhorn so he can vent, and perhaps talk about his feelings. It made me laugh at first, but now it just irritates me and makes me anxious.

Three years ago, I watched an ambulance, in a futile attempt to move past the block of standing cars, say, “Az baray khoda, khoda mesharmanee.” (“For the love of God, you’re shaming yourself!”). It didn’t work then and I doubt it works now.

At the end of the day, are the police officers irritated by the sounds of their own voices?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful entry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks O, that's really sweet of you to say. WHEN ARE YOU STARTING YOUR OWN BLOG? Yes, i'm pressuring you.

Anonymous said...

I think you should grab one of those bullhorns and start belting out the new Paris Hilton single...no I'm serious. Have you still not heard it? Its totally the feel good hit of the summer.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Anonymous said...

Me: Really? Are you serious, really really? I'll have to see if she has a myspace page b/c I sure as hell am not buying it.

D: Why, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I guess I can understand if you're in the car, but if you're hearing it all day from outside your window...eh.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»