Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's my BIRTHDAY!

I wrote this yesterday:

I’m writing this in advance of my birthday, which is tomorrow. I’ll be 29 and I realized that tomorrow, I will be the age my mother was when she became a refugee. She was the mother of a fat, bossy, black-haired 2 year old (me) and her life became something else, something she never imagined or wanted.

And here I am, back in Kabul, at the age that she left.
-----------------------------------------------------

Today has been a great birthday morning. This morning, I spoke to my mom and dad on the phone. They're the only people that HAVE to remember my b-day. Everyone else, I remind. I've been having some health problems lately, headaches, tremors in my hands and generally feeling kinda lousy...but today, I feel awesome, Shukur. I'm feeling energized and I keep humming, "It's my birrrrrrrrthday, it's my birrrrrrrrrthday!"

AND, I met a new cousin. She's a co-worker of mine and she asked, which *homeinkabul* are you. I explained and she knew my aunt and my cousins. What a nice b-day present!

Lunch with my cousins and a b-day party tonight at my cousin's house in my honor. It was supposed to be a surprise but because I am the Surprise Party Ninja, they could not pull it off.

Happy B-day to Harlem Mama and Will and Nelson Mandela!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Sorry I'm missing the festivities. I'll just have to celebrate your birth on my own tonight at Recessions. Take care.
No, I'm not really serious about the Paris Hilton, don't buy it and give her any more money than she's already got. I just think you'd get a kick out of the song...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Penelope already sang to you, but I get to sing toooooooo. I really liked the 29 year old connection. And the description of your two-year old self. I don't necessarily believe it, but I find it funny. I am sending a birthday hug across the miles. It is environmentally-friendly, fat free, and dishwasher safe, so use it whenever you like, as often as you like. Hope you're having an awesome day.

Anonymous said...

Happy 29! Today I'll eat something sweet and cake-like in your honor.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm finally catching up on your blogs! (no net access for a while - yes, it was horrrrible).

But what's up with the shaky hand? take care, girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your birthday! Mine was sweet too.
yipppeeeee!
~same birthday bud

Anonymous said...

batya said...

happy birthday ...i know that your time there will get easier soon. take care of your health! love batya