Thursday, September 28, 2006

The power of the voice

In Afghanistan, where so much power is based on guns and violence, reading about Stephen Biko's life was a reminder of how strong one man's voice can be:

He was banned during the height of apartheid in March 1973, meaning that he was not allowed to speak to more than one person at a time, was restricted to certain areas, and could not make speeches in public. It was also forbidden to quote anything he said, including speeches or simple conversations.
Thanks Wikepedia
The Taliban know the strength of one person's voice. The impact that one person can have on the rest of the people.

So they kill that one person.

The loss of Amma jan is yet another heartbreak for Afghanistan. We have so many people in Afghanistan, working hard to keep their families together and sometimes even branching out to help others outside of their families. But Afghanistan needs help. More help. The Taliban are methodically killing off the people who spoke for us. The people who eloquently stood with their people and said, "We'll fix this if you give us a chance." I don't know what else to do other than to cry. Like Taniwal, like countless unknown ones before them - I can't help but feel hopeless.

My mom asked when are you moving back from Afghanistan? I don't know. It just doesn't seem like the right thing to do right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, HIK. And thanks for linking the article. I'm glad I was able to read it.

It doesn't make me feel so much hopeless as angry and confused. I just don't understand the thought process of these people who commit this violence against their own people. [I tried to go into a semi-long spiel here about what I think they would like everyone to think they want to achieve, what I think they really want to achieve, and what they would end up achieving if they were allowed to continue with their violence unchecked, but I've deleted it. I don't think I know enough background to make a well-informed argument. Just imagine my angry, well-worded, and intelligent rant here. :-)]