Saturday, December 30, 2006

Eid Mubarak





Eid Mubarak to everyone. May we all be granted with the serenity and strength to live lives of compassion and mercy.

I’ve been thinking about mercy for the past month or so. My friend led a Halaqah (circle of knowledge) when I was in Kabul and he imparted a message in the first Halaqah that has stayed with me.

It was a simple hadith but one that I needed to hear, in my hectic and grumpy life. This hadith is always the first hadith – not because of any rule – but because of choice. This hadith has been the first for centuries now. The hadith is:

Abdullah bin Umro bin Aas, may Allah be pleased with him, reports that the Prophet, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, said,

Those who have mercy will receive the mercy of the Most Merciful. Have mercy on those who are on earth, the One in heavens will have mercy on you." (Tirmidhi).

Such a simple message but one that impacts everything in life. Mercy for everyone, not just other Muslims, mercy for all, not just humans.

So, shukur for the kindness I've received when I've needed it the most. Despite all my faults, I receive mercy and kindness. Shukur for my family, my friends, hot water, medicine, and the steady warmth of love and laughter that I continuously receive in life.

Eid Mubarak.

9 comments:

SuperfluousA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SuperfluousA said...

Eid Mubarak to you and your family.

I agree wholeheartedly with your observations re: Saddam. Even my mother said "What happened to the American human rights? When did it become okay to kill people? It's Eid." And my mother is a dirty capitalist.

(Dude I swear to God I'm going to kill myself. I cannot spell for shit. Forgive the cursing, I'm only mad at myself.)

Lawrence of Arabia said...

eid mubarak!

...and a happy new year.

LoA.

Anonymous said...

koonj said...

eid mubarak - and shukur for ****. (redacted even though I use my real name on her blog b/c i'm the worst at being anonymous)

Anonymous said...

S: I liked the way it was spelled the first time and thanks...

LoA: Thanks, you too!

K: Awwww, thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

I am late, but:
Eid Mubarak!

koonj said...

I did remember to not write the real name, right? I did, didnt I? now i'm confused.

Anonymous said...

O: Thanks!

S: You used my 'real' name but since I use my real name on your blog - I just figured you didn't know. I generally am trying to not have this blog show up if someone googles my real name...

Anonymous said...

i heard that the US was trying to delay the execution until after Eid, but the local Iraqi Justice said it had to happen NOW.

i tend to believe it. but i can't back it up. if i bothered to read the newspaper i might find some evidence of this... but i won't bother, too. I figure y'all, we'all gonna feel the upset either way.

but isn't this post about Eid? so happy Eid.

Sh and HiK: you're real name, no real name dialogue is confusing.