Friday, December 22, 2006

I am SUCH a copycat

I love this poem by Rumi, found it in Frida's Notebook. I needed this poem today. Thank you.

There is a community of the spirit.
Join it, and feel the delight
of walking in the noisy street,
and being the noise.

Drink all your passion,
and be a disgrace.

Close both eyes
to see with the other eye.

Open your hands,
if you want to be held.

Sit down in this circle.

Quit acting like a wolf, and feel
the shepherd's love filling you.

At night, your beloved wanders.
Don't accept consolations.

Close your mouth against food.
Taste the lover's mouth in yours.

You moan, "She left me." "He left me."
Twenty more will come.

Be empty of worrying.
Think of who created thought.

Why do you stay in prison
when the door is so wide open.

Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.
Live in silence.

Flow down and down in always
widening rings of being.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contrary to popular belief, I'm actually getting work done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, Well, of course (of course you're a copy cat - who wouldn't be with such beautiful words innocently waiting to be CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V?)

Second, Well, of course (of course you're getting work done, only possible explanation for the aforementioned limited posts.)

Third, I am enjoying a Merry Christmas, here, as everyone is anxious to ensure I don't spend this most important holiday, alone. The people here have good intentions. :) Are you enjoying a Merry Christmas weekend? ;)

Frida World said...

I, on the other hand, am not getting so much work done - and I find reading Rumi is as good a way as any to sit out the 'down-time'. That and reading other people's inspiring and/or entertaining blogs.

I bought myself a beautiful new copy of Coleman Barks "The Essential Rumi" when I was home last month, and this poem is the third one in. I'm still drinking it in.

Herat has such an incredible artistic and spiritual history, I've not tapped into that vein yet. Or perhaps I have, hence the inspiration to buy and start reading Rumi?

Anonymous said...

C: I am so glad that you are celebrating Christmas in China. In fact, I would like you to write a guest post about it - it sounds like quite the cultural experience...

FW: Yes, I think you are tapping into the poetry. I'll spare you the Rumi is Afghan lecture. Ask some local Afghans for their favorite poets, they always have a ready verse to share. It's nice, even if you don't understand it.

Kristin Ohlson said...

Wonderful poem! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

"Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.

I don't know who or what Rumi is, but I like that line.

Work schmerk.