Saturday, May 12, 2007

The re-shuffling has begun

Granted, it's not by President Karzai but by the Wolesi Jirga. It seems that the Wolesi Jirga is starting to grasp the amount of power it actually has in its hands. First the immunity law and now getting rid of Ministers:

Afghan Foreign Minister Spanta removed from office
Refugee Affairs Minister Akbar removed from office

We'll see who is presented to the National Assembly for approval next. My guess that President Karzai will not present anyone else for a while and the ousted Ministers will be 'acting' Ministers. Also, a new political party, called the United Front, headed largely by President Karzai-opponents (link to Safrang, who discussed the political party in-depth), has formed.

Which leads me to this article: Analysts Suggest Afghan Government Is Rocky. Dude, you are telling me.

The real question is, what do you want from the National Assembly? Do you want a functioning branch of the government that effectively represents the will of the people? Or do you want it to appease the mighty few through non-violent means? Right now, it looks like the latter. Either way, it is hindering human rights (see the media law), the international concepts of justice ( immunity law - though not as bad as originally feared) and international development.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this unfolds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, full of important info and your always-intelligent analysis.

I am behind in my blog reading, and hope to catch up soon. The meme particularly catches my eye. I'm looking forward to returning to that later.

What is a kind blog?

Anonymous said...

O: I added a link on the side regarding kind blogs. It just means I'll keep my smack talk to myself. Or limit it to Parliament...