Friday, May 25, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns


I bought it yesterday and finished it this morning. It was a fitful sleep, I knew I was too tired to read but I kept getting up and turning on the light to read just a bit more.

I read the first page in the car on the way to my class. I left the book in my car, knowing that I wouldn't concentrate if I had it near me. But I couldn't concentrate anyway. Then I drove home, cursing every green light for not being red so I can read just a few more pages.

Read it read it read it.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I'll be honest, I didn't think he could. I didn't think he could tell the story of Afghan women.

But he did, he told the story of women, the ones who stayed and suffered, and he told it with compassion and without stripping them of their dignity, as so many other books have done (I'm looking at you, Bookseller of Kabul). And he told the story of Kabul, of the wars, of the humanity glittering underneath the years of war.

Uff, I'm starting to cry now.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiK, please write more.

Your writing fills are dark nights with light, is a cool breeze on hot summer days, and keeps us obsessively returning to your blog site, anxious for new posts.

You've sold me on the book, obviously.

But, you've not satisfied my need to read more of you!

Anonymous said...

great blog, keep on the good work

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited. i saw the book in the airport yesterday. i hope to have my very own copy soon. i agree with chaoyang. i check obsessively hoping for new posts from you.

Kristin Ohlson said...

I also read it, almost at one sitting -- late into the night and then finishing the next morning. It is absolutely splendid, stunning -- so moving and powerful and enlightening. He does an amazing job writing about women, as few men do, and his characters are all so rich and complex. I was dazzled.

Anonymous said...

Gosh I so agree with you on the bookseller of Kabul. I was so put off by the writing. The Afghan women were talked about as if they had no personality and needed this interlocutor.

In fact some of the smartest and savviest women I have met are the illiterate Pushtun women who may be buraqaed and all that but it so clear that her husband and adult sons toe her line.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but that's not fair! You can't tell me all that and here in Kabul I can't get a copy. Or can I? Anyone know of anyone in Kabul who already has a copy?

If not I'll be going on holiday (yippee!) soon so I'll look out in Bangkok - anyone know any good English language book stores in Bangkok?

I want to read this book now!
x

Anonymous said...

Frida:

try Asia Books.
www.asiabooks.com

the web site has a map, but I think the one I frequent with my dad is inside Landmark Hotel, conveniently close to the Nana Skytrain stop.

There is a great Thai Restaurant in that hotel, also.

And that neighborhood is full of cheapo Muslim eateries.

Enjoy Bangkok!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I saw that he had a new book out a few days ago. I'll definitely put in on my list of things to read.

Chaoyang "frequents" Bangkok? Groovy.

Anonymous said...

LOL... OMG, i love how you make me sound so much more exciting than I am.

groovy? :)

by the way, your lilies are still lovely.

but we miss your blog updates (and you, too HiK!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review of the book..he is a great story teller.

I am going to see Khaled Hosseini next week. stop by my blog and I will have a post about him.

Anonymous said...

oops! my link is not working:

www.racket-free.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I agree. The book was incredible!