Monday, June 05, 2006

Da Plane, Boss, Da Plane!



(Did you know that guy from Fantasy Island, the little one, was Afghan?)

This morning, I received all of my tickets…no contract, but I have my tickets.

So, I’m leaving for Kabul in nine days, Inshallah. Even though I’ve been there twice already, I am nervous. A friend asked if I was worried about my safety, because of the recent riots. I'm not. I'll do my best to be safe and not attract attention, but Inshallah, I'll be okay.

The most pressing concern right now is the make sure I have the proper clothing. It's hard finding culturally appropriate clothing and this time, I want to make sure that I dress nicely. It makes me feel better and less frumpy. Besides, my mom asked me to make sure to wear make-up every day. "Nobody likes to look at a washed-out face."

But when there is no water, perhaps a washed-out face isn't so bad?

She's right though, I like to be around people are put-together. So, wish me luck! Do you think they would do an episode of 'What not to Wear' in Kabul?

I think I will go shopping today. Being at home, surrounded by boxes and papers, is slightly overwhelming.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about What Not to Wear, but on today's Martha Stewart Show I learned how to make a dress out of black trash bags and duct tape - no stitching required! (Okay, so the dress was a witch's outfit for halloween, but I think you can use the dress-plan to make a non-witchy dress, too.)

Let me know, and I'll come over to with some Glad bags to show you how :)

Anonymous said...

As lovely as the trash bag outfit sounds, I think it would be hot, wouldn't it?

Come over and show me anyway!

Anonymous said...

Martha asked the model the same question "Are you hot?" - Model said "No." But then again, it was October in NYC - Do you think July in Kabul is very different temperature-wise?

Anonymous said...

I think the model was afraid of Martha and lied.

Anonymous said...

"(Did you know that guy from Fantasy Island, the little one, was Afghan?)"
Don't tease me with things like that. Geez.

Anonymous said...

He really is Afghan. He said he's French but he's not. He's my aunt's husband's distant relative.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a distant French relative?

SuperfluousA said...

You and your vast Afghan conspiracy! I thought he was something else for some reason. Don't know but if your aunt's husband's uncle's wife's great grandmother twice removed says he's Afghan, then he must be Afghan. What was his name anyway?

Anonymous said...

he's not something else. He's undercover Afghan! He is Afghan but denied it b/c Afghans teased him so much that he refused to acknowledge his people.

It's rather sad, really.

Anonymous said...

It is sad, you're right. What's sadder is the fact that we see no pictures or new posts on this blog... As a former roommate of homeinkabul I know she has more to say and share than this....

Anonymous said...

ill be in afganistan in september , embedding with the us military. Any advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
-chad
www.chadhuntphotography.com

Anonymous said...

seriously, we obviously find your daily thoughts and activities fascinating. I mean, we commented on your haircut like 17 times! Give us more please...